EU 20-20-20 Rule
The European Union set a series of climate and energy targets to be met by 2020, known as the 20-20-20 targets, which include:
- A reduction in greenhouse gas emissions of at least 20% below 1990 levels
- 20% of energy to come from renewable resources
- A 20% reduction in primary energy use to be achieved by improving energy efficiency
The 20-20-20 Rule assigns countries varying renewables targets, ranging from 10% in Malta to 50% in Sweden to hit an overall 20% renewables goal Europe-wide. To meet these obligations, many European countries have enacted their own legislation to incent power producers to transition to renewable energy sources.
While wind, solar, and hydro energy qualify as renewable resources, one of the most cost-effective renewables is biomass. The burning of biomass alongside coal in existing coal-fired power stations is a recognized renewable and carbon abatement technology, because the fuel is considered CO2 neutral. In addition to being cost-effective, biomass is a sustainable fuel, has a higher availability than most renewables, is socio-economically beneficial, and is a dependable resource.
Nalco Mobotec Enables Conversion to Biomass Co-firing
Nalco Mobotec is a world leader in conversions to biomass co-firing and provides expertise in the following areas:
- Complete design and engineering work to convert boilers to burn biomass
- Rotating Opposed Fired Air (ROFA)System to optimize combustion and reduce emissions
- Fireside Chemical Treatment to minimize slagging and fouling that occurs as a result of ash forming elements released during biomass combustion
- Essential expertise to ensure balance of plant and project success from start to finish
Nalco Mobotec is a world leader in converting coal fired power plants to cofiring biomass. The Nalco Mobotec system has enabled many boilers to switch to firing up to 100% biomass with no change in boiler load capacity, and while meeting strict emissions control requirements. Our system secures complete combustion and inhibits formation of pollutants such as NOx, CO, soot and particles, and minimizes slagging, fouling and corrosion. Nalco Mobotec has a strong history of managing the complexity of boiler conversions, as well as maintaining balance of plant to ensure project success and regulatory compliance.
For more information on the EU’s 20-20-20 Rule and how to prepare, contact us at email@example.com.