CFD Modeling Services
Overview of Nalco Mobotec CFD Modeling
Combustion characteristics, furnace flow dynamics, and chemical compositions are complex factors which are not easily represented. Since no single measurement or test method can reveal an entire furnace, computer models are required to fully understand and accurately predict furnace performance. Computers can perform the millions of calculations required to simulate the interaction of fluid and gases (before, during, and after combustion), with the complex heat surfaces and equipment used in power plants and industrial boilers.
The power generation industry increasingly employs computerized Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling (CFD) to predict combustion and pollution characteristics. CFD, a branch of fluid mechanics, uses numerical methods and algorithms to solve and analyze problems that involve fluid flows, combustion chemistry, and heat transfer.
Benefits of CFD Modeling
CFD modeling saves time and expense on major engineering projects because it allows designers to predict results before installing any equipment, eliminating costly on-site trial and error situations. CFD modeling:
- Provides many detailed insights into furnace operation that cannot be obtained through testing
- Helps to identify furnace operational problems and solutions
- Enables pre-installation testing of fuels, equipment, and accessories
CFD Modeling—Process and Capabilities
Each furnace modeled has its own unique fuel composition, airflow characteristics, and existing equipment. By employing the finite volume method on a collocated grid, Nalco Mobotec can offer a wide variety of physical models, applicable to an array of industries.
- Nalco Mobotec’s in-house CFD modeling capabilities:
- ANSYS FLUENT™ computational fluid dynamic modeling package
- In-house implementation of advanced submodels (e.g., advanced char oxidation models, CO oxidation, limestone-SO2, SNCR chemistry, etc.)
- Model types:
- Mixing, dispersion, and flow dynamic modeling
- Fuel combustion
- Pollutant formation (i.e. NOx, SOx, LOI, CO, etc.)
- Fuel types:
- Coal, in a variety of ranks
- Natural gas
- Boiler types:
- P.C. boiler (T-fired, wall-fired) with different burners (B&W, FW, CE, LNB, etc.)
- Circulating Fluidized Beds (CFB)
- Stoker unit
Nalco Mobotec Offers Deep Experience with CFD Modeling
As a leading provider of combustion optimization and air pollution control technology, Nalco Mobotec offers a long history of expertise in using CFD modeling to serve our client base. We customarily use CFD modeling first to validate baseline furnace combustion performance, then as a tool to evaluate options and design solutions that meet customer regulatory and performance targets.
Today, Nalco Mobotec maintains a large in-house CFD modeling team, all of whom hold doctorate degrees and qualify as subject matter experts in combustion and CFD modeling.
Samples of the CFD Modeling Process and Deliverables
Learn more about the many options that Nalco Mobotec offers to meet your specific needs.